Workers of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Ogbomoso under the Joint Action Committee of the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU), the Non-Academic Staff of Universities (NASU) and The National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), have threatened to embark on an industrial action over the management’s failure to meet their demands.
The JAC rose from its emergency meeting at the front of the University Senate Building, on Thursday, with a resolution to demand Immediate suspension of Staff auditing exercise to be conducted by the university management.
The resolution signed by the JAC Secretary, Com. Owolawi O. Helvellyn, also demanded immediate payment of 8months outstanding salaries, immediate payment 13months outstanding deductions, immediate release of fresh letter of promotions to all concerned members of staff and placement on their respective new salary grades with effect from the May 2021 Salary.
Other demands include immediate commencement of all outstanding Promotion arrears from 2012/2013 till date; approval by the Governing Council and commencement of payment of all outstanding Earned Allowances from 2013/2014 till date.
The JAC vowed to down tools if the University Management fails to meet its demands.
The JAC LAUTECH Branch received with joy and great expectation the letter of the University Management inviting her for a meeting on Thursday,May 6,2021 by 10:00a.m at the Senate Chamber. We were confident that the invitation letter that speaks nothing about the agenda will be centred on nothing else other than the welfare of the members of staff most especially as it concerns all outstanding salaries arrears (8 months),cooperative deductions (13 months), payment of promotion arrears (since 2012/2013 academic session), Earned allowances (since 2013/2014 till date), Non-financial Implementation of members promotion etc. But we were shocked to our inner narrow when the Ag. Vice-Chancellor,Prof. M O Liasu commenced the meeting with the announcement that the University Governing Council has directed him to convey to the Staff members through the various Staff Unions the proposed Staff Auditing Exercise aimed at accessing the staff strength of the University with a view to seeing into a possible recruitment of new staff to fill up existing vacancies across the various Departments and Units of the university.
However, it is to be made known to all and sundry that as beautiful and laudable this exercise is, and that we didn’t avert to the exercise but the JAC faulted its timing on the following grounds:
* The Governing Council cannot play ignorance to pressing welfare challenges of members of Staff as highlighted above.
* That the University Governing Council under the Chairmanship of Professor Wale Omole and Dapo Afolabi had conducted similar exercises but till date the results of those exercises were not made available to the public.
JAC arising from its emergency consultative congress held on Thursday, May 6,2021 at the front of the University Senate Building hereby demands as follows:
* An immediate suspension of the Staff Auditing Exercise;
* Immediate payment of all outstanding salaries (8 months);
* Immediate payment of all outstanding deductions (13 months);
* Immediate release of fresh letter of promotions to all concerned members of staff and placement on their respective new salary grades with effect from the May 2021 Salary;
* Immediate commencement of all outstanding Promotion arrears from 2012/2013 till date;
* Approval by the Governing Council and commencement of payment of all outstanding Earned Allowances from 2013/2014 till date;
In view of the above repeatedly demands, the JAC hereby put the University management on notice that failure for all the above demands to be met, the JAC of SSANU,NASU & NAAT,LAUTECH Branch will not hesitate to embark on a very serious full blown Industrial Action to beat home our demands.