The Chairman Senate Committee on Local Content and lawmaker representing Oyo Central Senatorial District, Oloye Teslim Folarin has disclosed the national assembly’s resolve to support efforts by the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) towards speedy recovery and growth of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria.
The Oyo Central senator made the declaration while giving a goodwill message at the ongoing Nigerian Oil & Gas Opportunity Fair (NOGOF 2021) with the theme; “Leveraging Opportunities & Synergies For Post Pandemic Recovery Of The Nigerian Oil & Gas Industry”.
Senator Folarin emphasised that the NASS would work hand in hand with NCDMB and other industry stakeholders to ensure that where necessary adequate resources are appropriated to meet the objective.
“We are also ready to make laws that will enhance this effort. So, I urge you to compile and send to us the final outcome and the result of your deliberations during this fair, especially in the areas where legislative actions are required” he noted.
The 3rd edition of NOGOF 2021 kicked off today and ended on Wednesday, May 26, 2021.
Senator Folarin’s full message reads:
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
GOODWILL MESSAGE GIVEN BY DISTINGUISH SENATOR TESLIM FOLARIN, CHAIRMAN, SENATE COMMITTEE ON LOCAL CONTENT AT THE NIGERIA OIL AND GAS OPPORTUNITY FAIR (NOGOF) 2021
1. It is my honour to thank the organisers of this fair, especially the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board, for inviting me to give this goodwill message at this occasion of the third edition of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Opportunity Fair (NOGOF 2021).
2. Distinguished colleagues, Honourable members of the House of Representatives, captains of industry, the able leadership of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board, distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, I recall vividly that the last edition of this fair was in 2019 with the theme “Maximizing Oil & Gas Industry for the Benefit of the Nigerian People” and that on that occasion the fair attracted over 1000 participants. I also recall that we were very optimistic and looking forward to the 2020 event. Little did anyone know what that year had in stock for the whole world. Covid 19 came upon the entire world and particularly the oil and gas industry like the proverbial thief in the night. Its impact on our industry has been dreadful and devastating. We have seen unprecedented shrinkage of demand for oil and gas and consequently massive retrenchment of jobs and many traditional and regular activities in the industry worldwide.
3. Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, while we ponder the impact of the pandemic, I am pleased that the pathway to recovery is already the key focus and the main driver for agencies like the NCDMB and all our stakeholders. This is why I am happy that the theme of this year’s fair is “Leveraging Opportunities and Synergies for Post Pandemic Recovery of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry”. Therefore, this fair is a critical rallying platform to bring all stakeholders across the industry together to chart the way forward to a quick and successful recovery of the industry. As we deliberate on these issues, let us also remember the lessons the pandemic has brought to sharper relief. Let us remind ourselves of the challenges facing the industry going forward; challenges such as the fast-moving energy transition; the battle for energy space between fossil fuels and cleaner sources of energy; and the impending relegation of crude oil as the most important source of energy for transportation and other uses. Based on these realities, let us support all efforts to develop and exploit our oil and gas resources while they still have good market value.
4. Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to declare that we at the National Assembly are very pleased to support this fair as its focus and objectives are in tandem with our vision and our legislative activities which are geared towards a fast-track recovery of the Nigerian oil and gas industry and the expedited development and exploitation of oil and gas resources. We are ready to support your effort in your search for strategies to ensure speedy recovery and growth of the oil and gas industry. We will work hand in hand with you and other industry stakeholders to ensure that where necessary adequate resources are appropriated to meet this objective. We are also ready to make laws that will enhance this effort. So, I urge you to compile and send to us the final outcome and the result of your deliberations during this fair, especially in the areas where legislative actions are required.
5. Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, let me conclude by thanking you for inviting me and wishing you successful deliberations.